POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg : Re: DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Nov 2003 17:21:58
Message: <3fa58386$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3fa3a5db@news.povray.org> , "Ryan Bennitt"
<rya### [at] lycoscouk> wrote:

> I was wondering if we would ever see raytracers written in
> vertex/pixel shader languges like these.

No, the programmable units on 3D graphic accelerators offer only 32 bit
precision floating-point numbers.  That is simply insufficient for
ray-tracing.  Besides, their pipelines are optimised for pixel processing
with local data, while ray-tracing requires very fast random memory access.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde